Canticles of Time (Symphony No. 2)
Duration: 28 mins.
Commissioned by Millsaps College for its 100th anniversary, this choral symphony was premiered in 1990 by Colman Pearce conducting the Mississippi Symphony and the Millsaps Singers. Its four movements, each longer than its predecessor, carry the listener through to an ending of sweeping exhilaration and excitement. The work is composed to a beautiful text by noted Atlanta poet/physician John Stone.
- “Jones’ style was brilliant…The resulting work was evocative and, cumulatively, haunting.”
---Charles Ward, Houston Chronicle
- “…a highly exuberant affair…builds to a busy, convuluted, joyous finale.”
---William Albright, Houston Post
- “... a stunning success. In time, it should make its way into the standard choral repertoire.”
---Joshua J. Weiner, Music Journal, Miss. Bus. Journal
- "The music is important and accessible. The words are beautiful and timeless. Both the music and the poetry by themselves are moving. Together, they have a certain kind of power.”
---Jerome Sampson, Jackson Northside Sum
- “We were standing, applauding and cheering. Rejoicing.”
---Danny McKenzie, Jackson Clarion-Ledger
READ PROGRAM NOTES